Summer is officially over! And I've never been so happy to have my child go back to school! Our summer turned out drastically different than initially planned. In early July, my son fell off the monkey bars and needed emergency surgery for a broken elbow. To say it was traumatic is an understatement. All of our summer travel and plans had to be canceled as my son, Harrison was housebound. I love NYC, but to have a hyper child who is not allowed to do much, not even go to the park, we had severe cabin fever...
So back to school couldn't have come sooner for my family! And Taco Tuesday couldn't have come at a better time. Tacos are not only one of my favorite foods, but they also seem to be the perfect and easiest solution for a busy family night.
I love eating shrimp but have always found cooking them challenging. These tacos were so easy; they made my fear go away!
Pineapple Shrimp Tacos
Lime Jalapeño Sauce
1. Heat your oven to 425 degrees.
2. Use a large baking sheet to add the shrimp, garlic, chili powder, tamari, olive oil, sriracha, salt, and pepper and toss everything together. Put them to the side on the baking sheet and add the jalapeño, pineapple, and shallots to the other half of the sheet and roast for 10 minutes or until the shrimp is cooked. If pineapple is not roasted, use the broiler for 1-2 minutes until it's charred.
3. Take out from the oven and toss everything together.
4. For the sauce: If you want to make less spicy, de-seed the jalapeños. Add everything to a blender, add some salt and blend until it's smooth.
5. Add the shrimp and pineapple to corn tortillas and top with avocado, corn, and cabbage. Drizzle sauce over and squeeze with lime.
The hardest trimester is the 4th trimester! I'm currently in the middle of it, and it's been challenging to say the least. Not only is my body not bouncing back like it once did before, (FYI don't look at Instagram for inspiration after a baby! Majority of women can't post a flat stomach selfie six weeks postpartum!) but my anxiety has also been out the roof! With the little sleep I'm already getting with my almost four-month-old, and eating terribly, I'm on a mission to start feeling better and eating better!
I remember the first day I got home from the hospital with baby Hunter, I postmated Shake Shack right away! And continued to postmate the worst things for the rest of the month. Hence struggling to lose the baby weight. (Can't us women ever catch a break?!)
Before I got pregnant, I wasn't eating meat, only seafood. But once I was pregnant, all I wanted to eat were massive lamb chops and pork chops (I don't regret any of them!) With that being said; I'm trying to go back to eating more salmon and less meat slowly!
Here is a delicious recipe for cozy lunch days at home or a healthy dinner for the family.
Greek Lemon Parmesan Salmon:
Corn, Chickpea, Feta Salad:
Lemon Greek Sauce:
1. Put salmon on a plate or dish, add the paprika, garlic, red peppers, zest of lemon, salt and pepper, and parmesan. Drizzle olive oil over salmon and rub the seasoning around evenly.
2. Heat your grill or pan on medium heat and put the salmon SKIN SIDE DOWN. Cook for 5 minutes or more if you want it crispy and flip and cook the other side for 5 more minutes or cooked until your liking.
3. Make the corn salad while salmon is cooking. Add the basil, cilantro, chives, lemon, olive oil, salt and pepper, red pepper flakes into a serving bowl. Add the chickpeas, corn, and feta.
4. Make the yogurt sauce. Mix until it's smooth.
To make your plate, add the yogurt sauce, salad, and then salmon.
My name is Liddy and I'm just a gringa trying to eat bueno in Nueva York and beyond! #gringaapproved #T1D #GlutenFree